Monday, February 19, 2007

Where'd You Go

Song of the day: Fort Minor - Where'd You Go



Red, red and red galore! Mandarin oranges galore! Cookies galore! Hong pau galore! Yeap. It's KONG-HEI-FATT-CHOY time again.


Sadly to say, this year will be my last CNY celebration in M'sia. Not exactly last last (it's not as if I won't be coming back to M'sia in the near future) but rather, my last because next year I would not be around. Sigh. I will be missing all those ang pau's and kuih-carpet and yee sang and nga-koo peng. So, to compensate for it, I will be eating lots and lots of it this year. Don't be shocked to see me gaining a few pounds. Sigh. The things I do for the sake of FOOD!


Oh, I finally finished my internship in KPMG! On my last day, I had mixed feelings. Part of me was happy and elated as I would not need to wake up at 7am in the morning anymore. Part of me was sad that it had to end. I met a couple of people whom are pretty cool and it's regretful that we could not develop a friendship beyond that of colleagues. I mean, we did promise to keep in touch and all but, seriously ...... it's hard when you hardly see other right? Anyway, it was a memorable experience. Thanks KPMG.


The next day was a Friday. My pre-plan was to go visit KDU College with Amy and Taya. But, I had to cancel at the eleventh hour. Instead, I went for a marketing simulation organized specifically for the YV marketing team. In the night, I finally met up with Amy and Taya to have dinner at Williams. After dinner, we dropped Amy home as me and Taya had a drinking party to attend at Hillpark (yeap...again.)


That Friday was Jim's 21st birthday. Of course, we had a drinking party! This time around though, I had no excuse not to drink. Unfortunately, I'm not much of a drinker as hence, was cautious with the amount of intake I took. The main appetizer that night was some cheap-ass liquer which believe me, could do you more harm the morning after that save you a couple of dollars. My advice? If you want to drink, splurge for the good ones. You'll do your stomach a huge favour.




The drunkards - except for Suek Yee and Michelle who was MIA.



That weekend was movie marathon for Mich and me. Saturday, we went to MidV to watch Babel (which was good if you like dramatic shows by the way) and on Sunday, we went to the Curve to catch The Holiday (which was also good if you dig romance/comedy shows).


Wednesday, 14th Feb - The Dreaded Day aka V-Day


Yeap. The day where singlehood becomes a whole new nightmare. It's bad enough that we're single but do you have to shout it out to our faces?? I mean, it's so overrated. Couples should declare their love for each other every single day, not just on V-Day! To me, it's just a marketing gimmick and we've all fallen foolishly for it. Did I say "we"? I meant, you people. Lucky couples.


Anyway, how did I spent my lonesome V-Day? Sadly to say, on the bus travelling to Penang. The night before, I decided that I will follow Mich to Penang for a few days. I mean, who want's to spend V-Day all alone in KL right? So we left Pudu at 2.30pm and only reached Penang at 8.30pm. 6 bloody hours! On V-Day! On the miserable bus! BUT .......... it was well worth it. What better way to spend V-Day but with equally single friends whose company you enjoy in Penang? Exactly! After dinner, we went to Batu Ferringhi to purchase some DVD's and later lounged out at Golden Sands' beach area listening to sappy love songs. And that was how I "endured" my V-Day.


The next day, we went to Gurney Plaza to catch Ghost Rider (which was pretty disappointing if you expected a lot but was ok if you don't put in any expectations). Then, we went out to eat authentic Penang hawker food (char koay teow and cendol) before deciding to go visit Rene and Varun's alma mater: St Xavier's Institution.






Hah. Proof that I went there. Apparently, it's the oldest La Salle in M'sia.




Later, we went to the longest mall in Penang: Queensbay Mall! I must say, it was pretty impressive. Kinda like MidV. About 10pm, we left to have our dinner at New Lane (Penang's food paradise) and finally called it a night. Actually, after watching Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo on DVD, only then I called it a night. C'mon. It was our last night in Penang! I don't want to sleep at 12am!


Anyway, that was my second trip to Penang in 2 months. I'm beginning to like Penang more and more. It's got the charms of an old colonial town, food that is "quite" comparable to Ipoh, the lifestyle of KL and most importantly, the beautiful stretch of beaches. Hmm, how much does property cost in Penang again?


Ipoh is still my home-sweet-home of course. Nothing beats that.


[background music: "Ipoh Mari" from Point Blanc and Jaclyn Victor]








But still .....