Sunday, November 05, 2006

A Hard Day's Night

Song of the day: The Beatles - A Hard Day's Night

"Remember, remember, the 5th of November"

If the above chant sounds eerily familiar, that's cause you heard it from the movie V for Vendetta. In actual history, the 5th of November was the day that Guy Fawkes, the notorious British renegade attempted to bomb the Parliament. It's probably that time of the year again when people rejoiced in seeing a strawman being burned by a bonfire. Seriously, isn't it creepy witnessing a man (albeit made out of straw) being burned alive? Go figure the Brits.

Anyhow, no festivities here in Malaysia this time of the year. Instead (at least for university students) it's FINALS period. Yes, it is that dreaded time of the year. When all activities are put on hold, where one hardly has time to sit back and relax with friends, when students will isolate themselves in their room to revise (or attempting to but failing miserably), when anxiety and pressure heightens considerably and most notably, when appearances appear to be more shabby than usual.

I hate exam periods. But then again, we have study breaks which means I don't have to wake up early to attend lectures (Yay!). So I guess my feelings are ambivalent.

Countdown: 7 days

Shit.

1st paper: Statistics. Good news is, I did pretty well for my mid-term test (14/15) considering the fact that I partied in Laundry 12 hours before the exam. Bad news is, it's the 1st paper but it was the last subject that I started revising for.

2nd paper: Financial Institutions. Double shit. I fear for this subject the most. Mostly its because I have no idea where to start revising. Though my midterm test did reasonably well (23/30 - which is the highest in class, hehe), I can feel my chances of scoring a HD slipping away already.

Ok. Enough about exams. What else has been happening? I watched The Departed the other day (apparently I do not abide by the exam observations as stated above) starring Leo DiCaprio, Matt Damon and Mark Wahlberg. My 3 favourite Hollywood actors. Plus Christian Bale of course......... And numerous others including Eric Bana, Clive Owen and Jonathan Rhys-Meyers. So sue me. I happen to like drop-dead gorgeous men [defiant look].

Actually, I've got no inspiration to blog these days (hence, the really-boring-and-crappy entry). Writers are actually pretty similar to artists. We need some form of inspiration to build our ideas and be able to express them in a creative way. Guess this is what it feels like to suffer from writer's block. I think it's cool to be an author (though I doubt I have the talent to be one). I mean, I think I have the imagination and ideas for plots and characters but alas, no talent to write them out. Oh well, I think it's cool to be a secret agent too but that does NOT mean I really want to be one. 1 hour on the job and I'll probably get killed by a single headshot.

Great. I wasted 1 hour blogging. 1 precious hour whereby I could have finished reading 1 whole chapter.

Countdown: 6 days and 23 hours ..........

Triple shit!!