Sunday, March 09, 2008

Blue Bayou

Song of the Day: Linda Ronstadt - Blue Bayou

"Saving nickels, saving dimes
Working till the sun don't shine
Looking forward to happier times
On the Blue Bayou"
If only all of us have our own Blue Bayou where happiness lies. I wish I know where is mine =)
As you've probably already figured out by now, my blogging rate is seriously deteriorating of late. I just lack the inspiration and the desire to blog anything, even if something interesting is happening in my life. Not that I'm suggesting it is, cause it ain't.
For the 1st time in my entire life, I was interested in the outcome of the general election just held yesterday in Malaysia. I never knew politics could be so exciting but this year, with the racial tensions hoopla and practically all my peers having a say at it, I decided to jump on the bandwagon. I came back home at 12am yesterday after a dismal showing of 10,000 BC and I found myself hooked in front of the laptop, searching for latest news of the results. I couldn't stay away for 2 hours and everytime I decided to lay my head to rest, some exciting results were announced. It turned out I wasn't the only one among my friends who were diligently following the election process. My MSN chatroom had turned into some political forum for a while. Haha. I guess this is an indication of us becoming ADULTS. 5 years ago, I couldn't care less about politics at all.
Speaking of politics, I guess I should shut up now or else risk being shut down by the gov. But I think at this time, they have more important things to worry about (like the fact they lost 5 states to the opposition). Anyway, yesterday was a day of surprises alright. Both MU and Chelsea lost respectively in their FA Cup ties. The saving grace for MU was that Chelsea's lost was significantly more humiliating as they lost to some unknown 2nd tier team. Haha. Thanks Chelsea! If we can't have it, you can't either =)
So, it's going to be Week 3 soon. Time is really running by swiftly. I remembered a time before I left Malaysia, blogging about the same thing. But that time, I was dreading the time to leave Msia. Now, I'm dreading the time to leave Oz. Such a turnaround, I'll say.
The truth is, I'm ambivalent about staying in Oz. On one hand, I like the simplistic and laid-back lifestyle of the Aussies. On the other, I want to be close to my family and friends. Then, there's my career to think about. Needless to say, Australia ain't exactly the financial capital of the world so opportunities are rare. The point is moot anyhow. In order to stay and work in Oz, I need a PR and we all know that isn't a possibility. If somehow I can charm an angmo dude to fall in love with me within the next 3 months and grant me de facto PR, then it might become a reality. But we all know, my romantic prowesses ain't exactly my strongest "quality".
Anyway, my future career is all I can think about these days. I really, really want to secure a job before I graduate or else I would deem myself "incompetent". Such high standards I know. Some might say it's still a bit early to look for a job but the best jobs (investment banking) are as competitive as it gets and you really have to step up a notch to get that "dream" job. I want to be earning $7k a month!! I want to be a part of Morgan Stanley, Merrill Lynch, Credit Suisse, or even Macquarie and be the envy of all my peers!
Sigh, sometimes I think my ego is my biggest enemy. Actually, most of the time it has proven to be my downfall. So,
Screw you, EGO!