Friday, March 11, 2005

Fly me to the Moon

Song of the day: Frank Sinatra – Fly me to the moon

“Fly me to the moon,
and let me play among the stars
Let me see what spring is
like on Jupiter and Mars”

What have I just done? Seriously, gal what possess you to create your own blog? Went to college as usual, spent a lot of time in front of the computer, MSN-ing and suddenly I was inspired to create a blog? Totally spur of the moment. Never in my life have I ever wanted to start an online blog. C’mon, you’re talking to a girl here who only wrote in a diary once in her life. I think it was Form 3 or 4, can’t really remember. Wonder what possessed me to start a diary back then too? Hmm….
Anyway, what’s done is done. So, here I am writing in my blog for the very first time. I just hope I know what I’m getting myself into….sigh

Fly me to the Moon….a great tune by the great Frankie. God knows why but that song has been on my mind since the last few days. It’s driving me crazy at times. You know how it is when you’ve got a song stuck in your mind. The more you try to shake it off, the more often it plays in your head subconsciously. I remembered a time last year, when my KDU friends and I were chilling around after our finals; we had this particular song that was seriously driving us nuts. We had no idea who brought it up. The thing is, it was the weirdest of songs! Ever remember watching Smurfs back when we were way younger? You know, the whole bunch of bluish creatures that are all male except for one female living together in a storybook village or something? Well, someone started humming the theme song and that was the beginning of our nightmare. Out of the blue, you started humming it, la la la la la la…..God! It was pretty irritating. And now, this Frank Sinatra song. I hate it when it happens, but it just seems to happen all the time!

The Moon…Hmm…. You know the saying, ‘Reach for the moon, if you fall, you’ll still land among the stars’? So basically, the Moon here represents the ultimate dream, sometimes the impossible one. For many, they dream big, huge things that are highly unattainable in reality. Making your first million by the age of 30, owning and driving a Ferrari in the South of France, having your face spread out on the pages of Vogue, etc. For me, my ultimate dream would be being CEO of a multinational conglomerate. I guess I’m not much different from those people. CEO of a company, who am I kidding? But dreams are just that, dreams. They will never ever come true. A bit pessimistic here, you say? On the contrary, I consider myself pretty optimistic at most times but let’s face it; there is a glimmer of truth to my claim right?

The real ‘Moon’ in my life is actually pretty achievable. All I want in life right now is to succeed in my goals.
Long term goal: Be a successful career woman with a loving family (I’m no different from any other woman, I suppose. But true to heart, that is what I really want in life ultimately)
Short-term goal: Study hard, get a bloody scholarship and go overseas.
Studying overseas is elusive to me, considering my financial situation (not that I’m poor or anything but studying overseas can really put a huge dent in your pap’s wallet) so I really, really need a scholarship for me to be able to fulfil my lifelong desire! So, you see the ‘Moon’ in my life is pretty simple. But getting to the Moon is the tough part. Literally speaking, an astronaut would have to undergo training and all that crap, and when he does qualify he would have to count down to ten till the space craft finally takes off into space. When in space, he would have to control and steer the rocket and finally, use all his brain and years of knowledge garnered to be able to land safely on the surface of Mr. Moon. All those years of hogwash for the simple task of landing on the Moon, sigh. You could ask Mr. Neil Armstrong whether it was all worth it and he would have said yes without hesitating. After all, you get to achieve something no one else in history has ever done before. Of course, it was well worth it!
Figuratively speaking, getting to our ‘Moon’ would be a tough and enduring journey too. Our ‘training’ would be our years spent in studying the course of our choice at universities. Just like an astronaut. Our version of ‘count to ten before blastoff’ would be our counting down the days till our finals are over. Just like an astronaut. We control the ‘rocket’ by maintaining our grades to be consistent or risk facing failure right in front of our eyes. Just like an astronaut. We ‘steer’ ourselves by making sure we stay on the correct path and not stray into the abyss of darkness and nothingness (read: implicating ourselves with drugs etc.). Just like an astronaut. Our ‘landing’ would be securing a job that would satisfy all our heart’s desires, financially and mentally speaking. Just like an astronaut. Guess they don’t differ much from us huh?

Sometimes, I just wished some kind soul out there would miraculously fly me to the Moon. Wouldn’t it be amazing if you just woke up one day and found yourself being the exact person that you wished to be 10 years from now? (Kinda reminds me of that ‘13 going on 30’ movie, staring the lovable Jennifer Garner and cute-in-a-gruffly-way Mark Ruffalo) No hardships, no toil and suffering, no worries at all! You’re already what you always wanted to be! I really can’t wait to see what I would make myself to become 10 years down the road. Will I be the successful corporate woman I always envisioned to be? Will I have superb friends whom I’ll hang out with every single weekend? Will I be married to a wonderful and caring man? Will I be staying in an ultra cool apartment that I personally bought with my money? Have you ever actually wondered?

I wish I could just skip all the ‘training’ part and fly directly to the Moon. But then again, some would argue, What’s the point? Where’s the fun? The anticipation? Let me give you a very good example. Have you ever played the Singles: Flirt up your life game before? Your mission is to hook up 2 people who are housemates and make them fall for each other. Most people will use the cheat code in order to get more money or heighten up their characters’ senses and needs. There comes a point where money has reached the maximum level, all accessories have been purchased and needs of the characters have all been satisfied. So, what’s there to play for anymore? It’s ‘Game Over’! What’s the point in playing it in the first place if you can just win in a matter of hours?

Exactly my point. The anticipation. The build-up. That’s what makes life interesting. Kinda like World Cup. In my opinion, the most exciting match isn’t the final one but rather those quarter and semi-finals matches that gets my pulse racing. I feel there were more grit and determination in those matches than the final itself. Take for example, World Cup 2002 in South Korea and Japan. My favourite match was the 2nd round battle between Spain and Ireland. It was such an exciting match because the dreadlock had not been broken and the match went down to penalties. It’s the cruellest way to determine a winner because to me, it’s all just pure luck. Anyway, it was such a moment. I was teetering on the edge of my seat every time someone stepped onto the penalty spot and delivered the blow. There were a few gasps and phews naturally but at the end of the day, I was a happy person. Spain had won! Then came the quarterfinals; Spain against host country, South Korea. I was nervous for my team for facing the host nation would always be difficult in all circumstances. Spain had major bad luck riding with them to the East for the match went into overtime yet again. Sigh. Another potential heart-attack for me. Unfortunately, this time Lady Luck wasn’t smiling on Spain again. They lost on penalties. I was so, so disappointed. After that, my interest in World Cup was no longer at a high. I did root for Germany after Spain lost but it’s just not the same anymore, you know? I did watch the finals of Brazil vs. Germany for the sake of watching it. But my heart wasn’t in it anymore. So for me, finals are always bland especially if the team you were supporting did not make it through.

So, I guess what I’m saying is that the journey to the Moon itself wouldn’t be very interesting if we would have arrived on the surface of the Moon a split second after we departed from Earth. What’s the hurry? Why can’t we sit back and enjoy the view from space?

So in a way, real life pretty much resembles that. I really want to get to my ‘Moon’ as soon as possible but then again I would be missing the ‘view’ on the way. Isn’t getting to admire space with all its beautiful array of stars be as priceless as stepping onto the Moon itself? Isn’t it much more interesting to discover slowly how our lives unfold within the next 10 years? The crazy things that we would do, the wonderful people that we would meet, the experiences that would last a lifetime, now isn’t that what life is all about? So, I guess in a way, we should all be lucky that we can’t ‘fly’ to the Moon. What is life all about if you can just fast forward yourself into the future? Life would be just boring, totally dull, eventless and uninteresting. Plus, you wouldn’t have appreciated success unless you worked hard at it.

Thus, I guess I just have to tell myself, “Sit back and enjoy the view, gal coz you’ve still got a long journey ahead of you.”